Associated Grocers, Inc. was organized on May 23, 1950 with 17 member stores. The original membership consisted of grocers from old and respected business families of Baton Rouge. From its humble beginnings in 1950, Associated Grocers, Inc. quickly developed into a success for Baton Rouge and eventually the southeastern region of the United States. The association’s marketing strategy was simple, but effective. Through association buying power, member-retailers decreased the cost of goods by purchasing directly from food manufacturers. The company began in a small 2,500 square foot warehouse located in downtown Baton Rouge near the mighty Mississippi River.
Re-locating in 1975, to its present site on Anselmo Lane, Associated Grocers has developed an impressive campus of warehouse and administrative buildings that total over 700,000 square feet. This growth has included a warehouse expansion to 530,000 square feet in 1996; completion of a 43,000 square foot administrative complex adjacent to the distribution center in 1999; an addition of 34,000 square feet to add freezer and dock space across the perishable warehouse in 2003; and an addition of approximately 108,000 square feet to the warehouse, establishing a new area for dairy products and expansion of grocery warehouse space.
Under the leadership of current president J. H. Campbell, Jr., the company is on the leading edge of technology, offering its retailers a full-line of services including accounting, advertising, equipment & design services, marketing, retail technology, and procurement & merchandising.
With over 750 full-time employees and annual sales over $675 million, Associated Grocers, Inc. is a key player in the economy of Louisiana.