Food Safety Manager
Watsonville Produce, Inc. has been family owned and managed since 1984. We are the “Fresh” Leafy Greens processor/packer for the Muzzi Family Farm’s group of fresh and frozen processing and sales companies. We are looking for a Food Safety Manager who will oversee all daily Food Safety activities at our facilities in Moss Landing, CA from Apr-Nov and in Yuma, AZ from Nov-Mar annually.
The Food Safety Manager will work with our Food Safety Director and oversee the implementation of the requirements, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the Food Safety system. This position serves as the lead for product recall communications, regulatory inspections, Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) audits, and for interaction with customers on Food Safety related issues. You will also be responsible for managing and providing technical expertise for: Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), and any other regulations that pertain to the processing/packing and shipping of our products.
- Implement and maintain all Food Safety related programs and standards for our facilities.
- Ensure that managers, supervisors, and employees have the required Food Safety training and are consistently working within Food Safety requirements.
- Ensure that the operation complies with federal, state, local, customer and company Food Safety policies and regulations. Prepare and submit all required reports and correspondence.
- Inspect products and equipment for conformity to applicable regulations and standards.
- Monitor and verify activities to ensure that all product coming into and shipping from our facilities meet all Food Safety requirements, quality standards, and specifications.
- Oversee proper maintenance and sanitation of the facilities to comply with Food Safety requirements.
- Ensure that all company Food Safety and Quality Assurance procedures are followed and documented at all times.
- Work with vendors on ensuring that all federal, state, and local Food Safety regulations are in compliance.
- Manage the HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) plan and pre-requisite programs.
- Instruct and advise managers, supervisors, and employees on GMP’s and HACCP to promote continuous education.
- Coordinate Food Safety training for managers, supervisors, and employees.
- Ensure compliance with applicable Food Safety regulatory requirements (Federal, State/Provincial and, Local).
- Handle and oversee the product recall process to ensure timely communication and execution of product recalls and completion of related documentation.
- Manage Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), independent 3rd party, customer, internal, and regulatory audits. Analyze results and gather corrective action plans for audit non-conformance. Review final results with Food Safety Director.
- Follow-up promptly and thoroughly on Food Safety complaints from customers. Effectively communicate resolutions to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Bachelor degree preferred in Food Science, Food Safety, Food Technology, Plant Science, Biological Science, or Supply Chain/Operations from a four-year college. Comparable work experience will be evaluated for non-degreed candidates.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Food Safety with working knowledge and management level experience in HACCP, GMP, USDA, FDA, and working with Local, State, Customer, and 3rd party inspections.
- Solid working knowledge of quality assurance, food manufacturing, processing, packaging and distribution is required
- Ability to work effectively with managers, employees, vendors, and customers.
- Conduct Food Safety observations of key associates performing Food Safety activities.
- Must be able to travel seasonally and flexible with work schedule.
- Experience with Primus GFSI and / or USDA audits desirable.
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to make independent, sound decisions, capable of communicating, and reporting functions both verbally and written.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.