Buyers at Veritable Vegetable develop and maintain strong relationships with VV’s farmers and vendors contributing to our company’s goals of actively improving the sustainable food system by supporting organic farmers, increasing access to fresh produce, strengthening communities and cultivating a fair and dynamic workplace. The Buyer is a full time and salaried position.
- Develop and maintain a supplier base that aligns with current customer needs and future opportunities
- Maintain, grow and strengthen relationships with organic vendors, obtain information about product availability, place orders, establish prices and resolve quality issues
- Represent our company as the grower’s distributor of choice
- Communicate our company values to staff, our community and all outside contacts
- 3+ years of experience in the Produce Industry, preferably in organic produce
- Knowledge of organic produce varieties, organic growing practices, quality standards and seasonality
- Outstanding relationship building skills; ability to manage strong vendor relationships
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem solving capabilities
- Proficient in MS Office suite software applications and utilizing databases
- Knowledge of logistics and ability to work closely with our Transportation Department
- Self-motivated, highly organized team player
- Effective time management skills
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit
- Strong writing skills; experience with marketing communications (i.e., writing blogs)
- Strong technical skills; ability to analyze and suggest improvements to database applications
- Field training experience with growers (e.g. crop planning, production planning)
- Knowledge/experience in food safety compliance
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.