Human Resources Generalist
Ever dream of the opportunity to grow your HR career and directly contribute to our company’s success?
We have a great opportunity for you!
Our company is a recognized leader for the innovation of its agricultural production, and salad and vegetable processing, supplying our customers year round on the East Coast. Known under the "Fresh Attitude" label, our pre-washed lettuce is available in several major grocery chains.
Vegpro International Inc. is a continuously growing Canadian company located in Quebec, Canada (St-Patrice-de-Sherrington) and has nearly 900 employees. The company offers a dynamic work environment and exciting challenges! The company has three product packing plants, two plants in Quebec and one in Florida (Belle-Glade), in addition to farm land in Quebec and Florida.
The company is growing so you will contribute to accommodate the growth we are experiencing. There are over 200 employees throughout the company in Florida. You will have to support the management and the employees for two divisions in Florida, more specifically in Belle-Glade, the product packing plant, Salade Etcetera! all year round as well as the farm during fall-winter season.
Reporting to the Executive Director HR, the incumbent will act has a resource and subject-matter expert and will be responsible for providing human resource support and partnering with management and employees in all HR areas including recruiting, employee relations, health and safety, training, performance management, benefits, compliance, policies and programs. An HR and Payroll Coordinator will report to the incumbent. You will work closely with the plant and the farm managers.
- Maintain, revise, update, customize or implement programs, policies and processes, aligned with HR Corporate
- Ensure compliance with corporate policy, fair employment practices and government regulations
- Provide current and prospective employees with information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits
- Perform recruitment/placement activities for salaried and management positions and utilize the most cost effective recruitment means
- Manage a low to mid-volume recruiting program for positions including creating role profiles, sourcing, interviewing, reference verification, on boarding and employee retention
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and helping resolve work-related problems
- Manage employee documentation such as Employee Handbook and Safety Manual
- Handle employee relations by documenting situations and making management aware of issues and potential risks
- Manage new employee orientation and the exit interview process
- Coordinate on-boarding of all new employees, following and improving current on-boarding process
- Advise and train managers and employees on organizational policy matters, health and safety, employee relations and performance management
- Identify training needs, recommend training programs that support goals
- Coordinate and conduct internal training programs and evaluate their effectiveness
- Diagnose organizational development needs and identify best development solutions
- Support and ensure data and system integrity through regular processing and auditing of the payroll system
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals, and absenteeism rates
- Conduct health and safety meetings. Coach and educate all levels of management and employees on safety regulations
- Develop and maintain all company occupational safety and health programs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.)
- Five+ years Human Resource Generalist experience
- Must have food industry environment experience. Experience in the agriculture and produce industry a plus
- Functional level of spoken Spanish is required, French is an asset.
- Should have knowledge of Database software; Human Resource systems; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software
- SHRM certification desirable, but not required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent grammar, spelling, and proof reading skills
- Knowledge of labor laws in Florida
- Must possess leadership skills
- Must demonstrate flexibility and desire to learn
- Ability to analyzing information and pay keen attention to detail
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast-paced ever-changing work environment
- Ability to anticipate work needs and follow through with minimum direction
- Excellent organizational skills
- Team player, enthusiastic and determined
- Has a strategic business sense
- Good negotiation and persuasion skills
- Has a valid driver's license & passport
- Available to travel across Canada and outside the country
- Controls Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word…)
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.