Manager, Produce Merchandising
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
In collaboration with the Produce Market Director and Opco Vice President of Merchandising, negotiate, procure, and coordinate the effective distribution of Category 11 products and services to customers through Sysco Broadline Operating Companies. Establish and execute strategy for the produce category to meet or exceed profitable sales targets supported by effectively managing OPCO designated service levels. Provide training, product information, regulatory guidance, and customer service to internal and external customers in support of the distribution of products and services.
- Provides staff with specific feedback on performance related to established goals; highlights key positive and negative performance issues; adjusts plans to ensure development.
- Establish with the Produce Market Director and Opco VP of Merchandising impactful (S.M.A.R.T.) fiscal CMP and Bonus Goals aligned with Opco and Corporate targets. Coach and maximize team in reaching these goals.
- Planning and Organizing: Must establish courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for the successful completion of assignments or tasks; self imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Procurement – Replenishment
- Maintain appropriate inventory to meet customer demand (Service Level) while maximizing inventory turns and controlling shrink. Manage buyer(s) to effectively execute the above as well.
- Support Category Management by providing product assortment and sku rationalization recommendations that are aligned with your customer demand.
- Align with and implement a "local" and "sustainable" program where applicable.
- Insure OPCO participation and comprehension of sourcing programs.
- Meet or exceed appropriate contract compliance.
- Exploit effective utilization of PRDC and RDC platforms where appropriate.
- Partner with Produce Market Director and Houston sourcing team to enhance programs and assuring local market relevance.
- Provide timely and effective communication with Sales force including but not limited to market conditions, product quality and availability, new items and applications.
- Responsible for logistics on all inbound products utilizing efficient loading strategy and employing PRDC, consolidation and re- distribution where appropriate. Collaborate with TMS and Optimization teams in capturing all available freight related efficiencies.
- Drive effective adoption of Corp logistics strategies.
Sales – Merchandising
- Drive produce sales opportunities by collaborating with Business Development. Partner with Sales and Marketing management in developing successful sales strategy in growing profitable sales
- Develop and implement innovative, impactful produce marketing/promotional agendas.
- Facilitate produce growth by driving MA support through business reviews, customer insight encounters with targeted training and education.
- Schedule and manage category sales training of Marketing Associates.
- Develop sales strategies utilizing available contract programs and resources.
- Insure Quality integrity of all inbound and outbound Category 11 products. Works closely with Quality Assurance lead(s) and in conjunction with Operations and Transportation Management.
- Establish and maintain accountability that all inbound product is inspected thoroughly.
- Manage market adherence to GAP/GMP Compliance.
- Develop and monitor SOPs insuring that all pick locations are checked daily.
- Works with inventory control to manage expiration dating through SWMS reports
- Schedule reoccurring meetings with Operations leadership to insure produce department and operation functions are insync and collaborating effectively in meeting our customers produce needs.
- Educate stakeholders to a full understanding of the executive summary and TRS sales performance and trending reports.
- Collaborate with OPCO VP of Merchandising and Produce Market Director in providing fiscal produce profit plan and narrative for TRS/LLC Sales Growth, Gross Profit margin, Earned income and Brand penetration targets.
- Review daily financials and utilize strategic pricing strategies to ensure profitability and sales growth targets are being met or exceeded and profit plan realized.
- Manage and direct effective control of product shrink.
- Maximize earned income opportunities through increased cases billed through SMS.
- Actively supports needed changes in strategy, technologies, business innovations, organizational structure, and people.
- Proactively engages with team to ensure understanding and execution of changes.
- Develops and executes implementation plans to drive needed changes.
Integrity & Accountability
- Speaks and acts with complete honesty and trustworthiness.
- Owns mistakes and promptly addresses them.
- Demonstrates curiosity and actively seeks to learn and grow.
- Proactively solicits feedback and acts on it.
- Anticipates emerging trends and future market opportunities.
- Identifies and communicates a future vision that supports the long-term needs of the business.
- Prioritizes opportunities and develops actionable strategic plans.
Problem solving & Decision Making
- Anticipates and confronts issues and problems early on.
- Gathers input and considers different points of view to reach the best outcome.
- Uses facts and selects approaches that will work and have the greatest impact.
- Makes timely and effective decisions to reach business goals.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent combinations of experience and education in lieu of degree sufficient to successfully perform essential job functions.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant industry and/or merchandising experience required. Management and Food Service Industry experience preferred.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting to new work structures, processes.
- Customer Focus: Educates customers. Shares information with customers to build their understanding of issues and capabilities. Must be able to provide timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a way acceptable to others and the organization
- Possess an elevated level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position- related areas; keeping abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.