Machine Operator/Team Leader
Southern Specialties was founded in 1990 by Robert Colescott, President and CEO of the company. Our mission was to provide the finest restaurants and hotels in the nation with the best quality specialty produce. After years of success as a grower and supplier to the foodservice industry, we expanded our product line to include a variety of offerings for the retail sector.
We are looking for a Machine Operator/Team Leader in Pompano Beach, Florida.
This person will assist with the coordination and fulfilling of product requirements. They will ensure that goods are produced efficiently; that they are the right presentation, of the right quality, quantity, and that they are produced on time to meet customer demands. They will be responsible for the oversight of employees. They will track inventory for packing material and conduct the monthly packing inventory given assistance to the Purchase Manager. They will manage the day-to-day maintenance of flow pack machines or vertical packing machine. This position reports directly to the Repack and Production Manager.
- Communicates Company policies and procedures to employees and ensures compliance.
- Follows, communicates and reinforces strict adherence to general company safety, chemical safety and food safety policies and policies. These include but are not limited to HACCP principles (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) and GMP (good manufacturing practices).
- Set up people/work teams for the packing line to fill daily production orders based on the master repack schedule.
- Provides basic technical expertise to operate the Flow Pack, Hayssen Machine or PPI Machine in order to fill work orders accurately.
- Manage day-to-day maintenance of the packing room and machinery, to include preventative maintenance, repairs, cleaning, scheduling and inspections to ensure a clean and safe environment. Includes troubleshooting of packing machinery to maintain Company goal of 100% up time of equipment.
- Completes data entry of all repack production into Navision.
- Responsible for counting and maintaining all packing material required for the Repack operation. Ensure the Repack and Production Manager and Purchase Manager are informed to replenish packing material when minimum order quantities are reached.
- Follow first in, first out inventory rotation in coolers on bulk products to be used in Repack operation.
- Monitors product and quality control standards. Report questionable product quality to Repack and Production Manager.
- Provides ideas to Repack and Production Manager for areas of improvement, both in quality and quantity of work, including cost reductions.
- Provides information to Repack and Production Manager regarding issues or concerns which may result in disciplinary action on an employee.
- Treat and maintain company assets with sense of ownership.
- Report any incident or accident immediately to Repack and Production Manager.
- Must follow Safety guidelines and use PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).
- High School Diploma.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds to shoulder height and above.
- Current forklift certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and meet safety, productivity and quality goals.
- Demonstrated ability to train employees.
- Excellent ability to work as a team and self-driven.
- Good attention to details and product quality.
- Able to follow directions verbally and by phone.
- Able to do basic math: Addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment in making recommendations and decisions within scope of responsibility.
- Must be able to work in a refrigerated environment from 35º F to 50º F depending on the product we are repacking.
- On call any day of the week for Open Shift based on customer demands; this includes Saturdays and Sundays.
- Vacation is not allowed from October to January. All vacation must be communicated with advanced notice for proper planning.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Technical expertise in the specific department preferred.
- Experience in troubleshooting and repairing packing machinery preferred.
- Computer literate and able to use a calculator preferred.
- English speaker, but Spanish is a plus.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.