Seasonal Assistant Trials Coordinator
Smith Gardens is a Wholesale Nursery company that is headquartered in Bellingham Washington, and is family owned for over 100 years with facilities in three states. Opened in 1988, our Marysville, WA location is the largest site of the Smith Gardens family consisting of 60 acres, with 500,000 square feet of greenhouse space. Marysville is the primary site for perennial production, but also grows mums, hanging baskets and annuals and trial gardens.
This person will assist and support the Trial Coordinator with conducting trials, designing, maintaining and evaluating plants at the Marysville trial gardens. They will also keep trial gardens clean and presentable to visitors during season.
- Support trial evaluations with the goal of product improvement and increased sales.
- Assist with planting and maintaining all trials in accordance with trial SOP guidelines.
- Maintain trial beds, keep weed-free, landscape, fertilize, and monitor appropriately.
- Assist with data evaluations of trials and collections as directed.
- Photo document and maintain photo diary: flower progression, document specs and management.
- Provide professional customer service when greeting visitors to the trial gardens.
- Associates degree in Horticulture preferred.
- 2-3 years of work experience in Horticulture a plus.
- Growing and production experience required.
- Working background & knowledge of plants is helpful.
- Possess strong organizational skills and ability to balance and prioritize workload.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel and Word skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work autonomously.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing, in person, and via phone or radio with all levels of staff.
- Must be able to read and write English.
- Willing to work flexible hours, holidays and weekends as required
- Work indoors and outdoors, in seasonal temperatures and conditions.
- Must be able to lift and move objects up to 50 pounds consistently with heavier weight necessary at times in an environment that is often hot.
- Continuously walk, stand, bend, kneel (and remain working below knee-level) as well as reaching overhead, and from side to side for long periods of time.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.