Assistant Logistics Manager
Produce Packaging is a fresh produce processor and re-packer located in Cleveland. We are a family-owned/operated business with over 300 employees, and we have been in business since 1994. We have a strong work ethic and believe in exceeding our customers' expectations. We process and pack a large amount of fresh produce for high-end and discount chain stores, as well as food service and manufacturing accounts. We are looking for an experienced, energetic, and detail-oriented and innovative thinker to join our rapidly growing company.
- Take charge of all outbound freight - scheduling of trucks, drivers, etc.
- Search for and contract back haul opportunities.
- Enter/confirm purchase orders and invoices for logistical matters.
- Keep tabs on our outbound trucks to maintain ETA schedules for customers and management. Maintain locations of all trucks en route to/from deliveries, and update "delivery on-time reports."
- Communicate with company drivers, buyers, and dock personnel.
- Help formally evaluate truck drivers at least annually.
- Help interview and hire truck drivers, and maintain our fleet staffing level.
- Build, track and produce reports relating to drivers’ route efficiencies. Provide assistance to the logistics manager in formulating and recommending improvements relating to customer service and cost effectiveness. These recommendations would be based upon efficiency metrics, on- time reports, as well as communications with drivers, dock personnel, and company management.
- When necessary, help in procuring cost-effective and timely solutions for transportation of inbound freight.
- Track and schedule truck/trailer repairs.
- Maintain DOT documentation.
- Regularly review trade journals such as The Packer, Produce Business, transportation periodicals to keep up with the latest industry developments.
- Assist the logistics dept. manager with any other matter as he may direct.
- Experience shipping product into Canada (i.e., exporting to Canada) HIGHLY PREFERRED.
- Energetic, and definitely self-motivated. Works well independently.
- Excellent communication skills - you'll be talking with drivers, management, shippers, and customers throughout the day.
- Degree in logistics, business management, logistics, or related field
- You MUST have at least 4 years experience in the logistics industry, and you MUST have experience with finding back hauls for a fleet.
- Need flexible schedule - able to work odd hours, take calls at night or on weekends from drivers, etc., and be on call when required.
- Must work well with computers, and adapt easily to learning new software.
- Need to be able to "tap dance." Things change on a dime here, and you need to be flexible/roll with it - and perform well.
- Must sign non-compete agreement.
- Prior produce industry or military experience is a plus.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.