Produce Buyer/ Salesperson
There is a career opportunity available for a talented and passionate individual to join our team as a Produce Buyer. The primary purpose of the buyer is to secure the right supply partners and procure quality produce, at the most competitive fob or delivered price, from the best premium reliable sources. You will be responsible for making sales and developing our business. The position will be located in the Dallas / Ft. Worth TX area.
You will network daily with distributors, growers, shippers of fresh produce products. In this position, you will manage suppliers and distribution partners as well as costing of market fresh fruits and vegetables for our food service clients. The role is four-dimensional: procurement, transportation, distribution partner and ultimately, end user client satisfaction.
We are looking for an seasoned broker with a broad skill set without bad habits.
- Customer-centered focus
- Expand new business by focusing on customer, distributor, suppliers needs and new marketing opportunities
- Oversee negotiation of contract pricing and structured fobs by commodity weekly within given timetables to ensure value, quality, availability, and food safety
- Prepare and keep record of required Contract, Food Safety documentation
- Maintain, Initiate and continually develop relationships with suppliers as well as monitor items for changes in sales trends and be able to forecast price and availability of commodities
- Tactical management of the produce procurement and transportation supply chain
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task
- Team oriented
- Decision making skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Project and goal oriented
- Ability to navigate through the organization
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team and company-wide initiatives
- Ability to comprehend product information data flow (item, vendor, cost, price)
- Ability to solve problems within and across multiple departments
- Provides proactive solutions with limited direction and input
- Demonstrates initiative and willingness to take risks
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
- Function in a fast-paced, retail, office environment
- Limited Travel required by car or airplane with overnight stays
- Ability to work extended hours at times
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Procurement, Food and Beverage or related field/comparable experience
- Moderate PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite software - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook - as well as ability to adapt to new required, proprietary computer software programs
- Working knowledge and experience in systems, process and analysis
- Organizational and detail orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid experience with understanding of software systems with ideas and input of continual creation of procurement and distribution software
- Minimum 4 Years Buying/Sales Experience for Fruits, Vegetables and/or Dairy products in the food service industry
- Minimum 2 Year Experience in Contract Negotiation, Business Planning
- Knowledge of USDA and PACA requirements
- Bilingual skills are a plus
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.