From its headquarters in Salinas, Markon Cooperative, Inc. provides fresh produce purchasing, logistics, information and marketing services exclusively to its seven member distributors (Ben E. Keith Foods, Gordon Food Service, Gordon Food Service Canada, Maines Paper & Food Service, Nicholas & Company, Reinhart Foodservice, and Shamrock Foods Company) and their foodservice customers. A leader in food safety, quality control and innovation, Markon is also mindful of the produce industry's impact on people – from field workers to consumers. At Markon, we believe people matter, and we offer a culture that values team work, loyalty, and a commitment to excellence.
We are seeking a Purchasing Coordinator to play a critical support role in the Purchasing Department. The ideal candidate will be eager to gain knowledge and expertise and learn the basics of negotiating skills and processes. This position requires accuracy in a high amount of data entry, excellent communication skills, and the ability to exhibit independence, flexibility, and good judgment to respond to changing priorities.
- Supports the work of the Purchasing Department to help meet annual team goals
- Delivers effective vendor support through the accurate processing of passings, confirmations, vendor cost, and pricing files
- Develops product expertise in designated categories over time
- Communicates price sheets to members
- Other duties as assigned
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out the job duties; typically through a high school diploma or GED and at least one year of general office or computer experience
- Strong computer skills, including database entry and ability to learn new programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and customer service skills
- Ability to identify and resolve problems independently and with sound judgment
- Ability to consistently demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and dependability in a fast paced environment
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, flexibility, enthusiasm and team work
Competitive salary and benefits package. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Employer subsidized health, vision and dental insurance effective on the first of the month following hire. PTO accrual and paid holidays from date of hire.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.