Our client is the premier quality producer of year-round greenhouse tomatoes in New England. We are seeking a skilled professional for the position of Grower. Reporting directly to the newly hired and highly respected Head Grower, this position is ideal for someone who is an expert in greenhouse tomato growing, with an innovative and hands-on approach and outstanding leadership abilities.
The Grower will be responsible for the achievement of strategic plan goals and overall management and oversight of a 20+ acre greenhouse. We seek an experienced production leader with outstanding experience in management of greenhouse production. The successful candidate will have the enthusiasm, credibility, openness, and maturity to engage and collaborate with growers, suppliers, research and management team colleagues.
- Manages all aspects of the greenhouse and production.
- Directly supervises up to 4 Labor Managers.
- Manages the climate systems, including irrigation and boiler systems.
- Monitors/develops methods to reduce costs/increase efficiencies and overall asset protection.
- Responsible implementation of Greenhouse planting plan, annual visitation schedule, management oversight of various nurseries.
- Manages the farming/growing, implementation of Greenhouse planting plan, management of labor needs.
- Responsible for and maintaining greenhouse inventory items.
- Prepares harvest schedule of all crops.
- Contributes to the forecasting process.
- Responsible for coordination of plant distribution system, support of Greenhouse, scientific and on-going industry research for all crops and follow through.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy or equivalent preferred.
- 8+ years of experience growing plants in a diverse climate – greenhouse tomato experience a must.
- 5+ years of managerial experience in a production agricultural environment.
- Knowledge of plant propagation, greenhouse and field production methods.
- General comfort level with computer systems (climate control, irrigation, MS Office).
- Creative and innovative thinker that is results focused.
- Approaches responsibility with a strong sense of ownership, leadership and commitment to excellence.
- Ability to use sound judgement to solve complex problems and carry out responsibilities with little or no supervision.
- Detail-oriented, yet need able to see the "big picture".
- Ability to prioritize and deal with competing demands; multi-tasking capacity critical.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in both oral and written communication.
- Must have strong organizational, interpersonal, and time management skills.
- Ability to foster positive relationships with vendors, clients, and company employees.
- Ability to handle rapidly changing situations in a dynamic industry.
Company sponsored relocation offered!
This Job has a $1,000 Referral Reward!
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.