Assistant Farm Manager
Farming since 1976, Capay Organic is a leading grower of organic produce. Inspired by the idea of farming sustainably, this second-generation, family owned company pioneered the organic food movement and connects consumers with the land and farm that grows our food. The company aims to change the food system to a more sustainable model that focuses on seasonal produce from local farms. Our diverse crop allows us to offer fresh, seasonal produce to our wholesale, retail, food service, and restaurant partners. Capay Organic operates at some of the best farmers markets in the greater Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area.
We are looking for a candidate responsible for managing growing activities, including land preparation, application of all amendments, irrigation, maintaining equipment, directing shop activities and purchasing services and supplies needed by the farm. This position is located in Capay, CA and is a full-time exempt position.
- Direct equipment maintenance and fabrication shop
- Irrigation schedule and operations for entire farm
- Representing the farm and company to customers, outside agencies and tour groups
- Assist Farm Manager in execution of growing plans and yield expectations
- Work closely with harvest, packing and quality assurance to produce the highest quality products
- Design and implement systems to efficiently manage labor, equipment and processes
- Managing vendor and landlord relationships in a professional manner consistent with the company philosophy
- Budgeting and record keeping
- Minimum five years of production experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Citrus orchard management a plus
- Row crop management a plus
- Fabrication and mechanical ability also a plus
- Ability to lead the company in food safety issues and keep company in compliance
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish is highly preferred
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.