Production Foreman/Farm Mechanic
Bishop's Orchards is a progressive family owned orchard, small fruit and vegetable operation located in Guilford, Connecticut. Our farm includes a thriving retail market, cider mill, farm winery, CSA and P.Y.O. operation, fruit orchards, berry crops and an assortment of vegetable crops.
We are looking for a Production Foreman/Farm Mechanic in Guilford, CT.
Reporting to the CEO/Farm Manager, this full-time position involves performing and supervising crews performing the various tasks necessary to produce and deliver high quality fruit and vegetable crops to market, including but not limited to: pruning, planting, thinning, spraying, mowing, harvesting, packing, and processing (cider) the various fruit and vegetable crops; as well as assisting in the maintenance of farm vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Operate trucks of a range of sizes and weights in the loading, hauling, and unloading of various equipment, materials, harvested crops, and supplies.
- Operate trucks, tractors, and farm and power equipment, such as mowers, sprayers, plows, harrows, seeders, spreaders, trailers, dump trucks, snowplows, front-end loaders, and forklifts.
- Operate chainsaws, mowers, and other small equipment and tools to care for crops and to maintain and/or adjust equipment.
- Work with and supervise farm crews.
- Under direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, assist in the operations of a farm service garage.
- Set up inspection and preventative maintenance schedules, maintain and repair all types of light and heavy duty agricultural equipment such as trucks, tractors, loaders, sprayers, fertilizer spreaders, stationary engines, and pumps; establish and maintain shop safety.
- Maintain records of service, inspections, and replacements.
- Design and fabricate specialized farm equipment and machines as required to accomplish tasks and/or projects.
- Receive and assemble new farm machinery and equipment; adjust and calibrate machinery in accordance with operating specifications.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Valid Connecticut Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- A valid CT Pesticide Applicator’s License and a CT Commercial Driver’s License are preferred, but not required.
Competitive salary (based on experience), paid holidays, personal time, employee discounts, profit sharing and 401(k) plan, health insurance, dental insurance, group life and disability insurance.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.