Quality Control Manager
Awe Sum Organics, Inc. is a well-established importer and marketer of organic fruit specializing in apples, pears, grapes, kiwi, and blueberries. We’ve been in business since 1985 and are a leader in the organic produce industry, with domestic and international product supply. We market our growers’ fruit throughout the US and Canada.
We are currently looking for an experienced Quality Control Manager to develop and execute a stronger QC function. This position will be responsible for all tasks as they pertain to the QC department including Team development, creation of QC standards, and grower and packer quality.
The QC Manager will work hand-in-hand with Sales and the Inventory and Logistics Teams. Initially, this individual will also work closely with our current QC Manager to learn the intricacies of Awe Sum Organics’ business as it pertains to our growers and commodities.
We have a casual, “green” office building in downtown Santa Cruz and even offer bicycles for your lunch time exercise!
- Develop the QC team to play a stronger role at Awe Sum Organics.
- Help enhance and maintain an even process of QC inspections for interpreting QC results.
- Help to communicate specific grower-related information back to our growers, in an effort to improve their pack house operations as relating to quality and condition on arrival.
- Understand customer specifications and give direction on product placement.
- Inspect aging inventory and outbound orders in coordination with Inventory and evaluate with QC team.
- Coordinate with and direct our QC inspectors/3rd party inspectors to establish and maintain an even platform of QC inspections and reporting methods across all Awe Sum Organics inspection locations.
- Work with growers and packing houses to check/set standards.
- Provide guidance, direction and oversight on repacking.
- Work with Sales Team on Customer arrival issues.
- As this individual, will have primary responsibility for Awesum’s QC department, you will have experience in leading /driving the QC function.
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 4-6 years produce experience—organics preferred.
- Fresh produce management experience required particularly with apples, pears, kiwifruit, blueberries, and grapes Intermediate computer proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office Suite and any third-party QC system.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn new skills and tasks as needed with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently while also within a team environment.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge of USDA grade standards, defects, and tolerances.
- Knowledge of Organic and Food Safety requirements.
- Knowledge of Food Labeling and Traceability Industry standards.
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred.
This position will be located in our Santa Cruz, CA office, but travel to our warehouses, farms, packers, etc., will be required up to 35% of the time.
Our company is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.